Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Atheists and Christians can you admit to your own false generalizations and prejudices against each other?

I'm an atheist, and I admit that some atheists tend to stereotype Christians as conservative, fundamentalist, gun-toting, bible hugging, evolution denying, homophobic bigots.





However I am aware there are a lot of other types of Christians. But it is the afore mentioned type of Christians I have a problem with.





I would know, I use to be one.Atheists and Christians can you admit to your own false generalizations and prejudices against each other?
You are being very judgmental. I am a Christian and have only compassion for atheists as they are so deceived by satan. I have no prejudices. I work for my church now but when working in he secular world I encountered several atheists. My observation was they were very critical of believers


and when asked why they could not provide a valid reason. The usual answer was ';they are a bunch of idiots who believe in something they have never seen.';





Sorry you have issues with both and can't see your own faults.Atheists and Christians can you admit to your own false generalizations and prejudices against each other?
Christianity spent 1,000 years - after science had proved the earth’s spherical shape – attacking science and insisting that the earth was flat;





It spent 300 years – after science had proved that the earth orbits the sun – attacking the Copernican Theory and insisting that the earth was the center of the universe. (The Catholic Church did not “forgive” Galileo until 1992.)





And now,





It has spent 150 years – after science proved the Theory of Evolution – attacking science and continuing to defend a similarly bone-headed idea about the creation of the earth that was made up by some wandering Bronze and Iron Age Semitic tribes of illiterate goat herders (who also thought that the earth was flat and occupied the center of the universe).





Then, there is the whole matter of the Dark Ages - with its lack or respect for human life and personal freedom, not to mention all the rape, torture, burning, murder, head-whacking, and limb-ripping.





That is their historical pedigree. When they accept responsibility, maybe they will deserve a little respect.
people should believe what they want to believe. If you don't believe in God or any form of him in any religion, good for you. Christians, if you want to believe in God, then good for you. Just don't take it out on each other. People are allowed to have opinions, so let them please.
Nothing false about my opinions re Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris et al.





On the other hand, there are atheists who were lucky enough to be born with a brain. Names which come to mind include Stephen Jay Gould, Michael Ruse, Mary Midgley..... I have no problem with them.
i can admit that i have had and stil do have false generalations and predujacies agains the majority, but, it comes from experiencing those people, and that religiion. not from my own mind
Uh, the only thing atheists have in common is that they don't believe in any gods. There is no atheist creed. So what generalizations and prejudices are you talking about? You're the only one generalizing here.
So where's the ';false generalization'; in asking ';Where's your evidence?';, or the ';prejudice'; in noticing that theists don't HAVE any?
Can you admit that you have false generalizations about atheists %26amp; Christians by thinking that we all generalize about the other?
All generalizations are false.


Think about it.





Peace.
No, we all agree that my generalisations are the best
I am fully aware of them. Its just here its so much more fun using them





when I meet christians they usually find me to be 'christ like' (which isnt always accepted as a compliment)
yes I can admit I am not perfect I do try to research others beliefs and try no to get to heated here on R%26amp;S so yeah I'm a bad christian for sometimes judging my neighbor
Yes I'll admit it. In fact I've got to check myself or else I tend to get a little to sarcastic and snarky. It's just so much fun though.
The only generalization i have about atheists that they do not believe in god, and that is true.
yes, Christians are deluded
Why are you generalizing?
Checking on someone's facts is fair game and required I would think.
Sure, I know all Christians aren't bible thumping retards. Those ones are just the loudest.
i don't deal in false generalisations, only facts.





atheist.
Sure I can. And usually do.
I want to know just where you are going with this question?
Yep. How 'bout you?

No comments:

Post a Comment