Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can there be a false positive?

I got one positive and have yet to get another one. I took a urine at the doc and it was neg. I am very confused, I've always heard there are no false positives. The doc assured me that the test was just messed up. Anyone else experience this?Can there be a false positive?
Yes, it is possible. I've had patients take hpts that are positive and then the blood tests (repeatedly done to confirm results) showed negative.





This can happen for something called a chemical pregnancy, where there are pregnancy hormones but no gestational sac. You could also have expired tests, which can give false positives and false negatives.





Also, the hormone when you ovulate is detected by similar chemical strips as pregnancy hormones. ovulation tests and hpts are pretty much the same, just that they become positive when a certain amount of the hormone is in your system. Sometimes if there is enough ovulation hormone (called LH) the hpts can detect that as a positive pregnancy.Can there be a false positive?
the only other thing could have been that you were pregnant and miscarried very early, before you even knew you were pregnant. so you took the pregnancy test when you were pregnant, miscarried, then were tested by the doc. This may not be your situation, but that has happened to people before.
It rarely happens but there are falty pregnancy tests. Im sure the one at the doctors office was right. Why not get a blood test to be sure? or see a gyno?
Actually, this isn't my personal experience, it's my friends, but she said that she went to the doctor and everything, and everything said she was pregnant, except the fact that there was no baby there. There never was. We still don't know why that happened, but it was similar to a false positive.
I would suggest you take a blood test. That would be the most accurate you could get. The negative one you took at the doctors office could be false too. Wish you good luck... and I hope you are pregnant.
There is no way you can get a false positive.
Mine was reversed... I got 3 NEGATIVE results when in fact I was POSITIVE.... I took 3 urine tests and they came back negative, negative and the 3rd came back and I was told it was ';SLIGHTLY NEGATIVE';.. (go figure)....well I had been vomiting for 3 WEEKS before I finally got a POSITIVE reading..so I knew I was preggers... Plus I was inseminated so I knew exactly when I conceived as well. No explanation for why there was so many negative test results but my Positive result is now a 29 year old EXTREMELY handsome son.
Yes i had a false positive last month followed by all the negatives, i went for a scan today and she confirmed it was just that ...........FALSE!!!!
I take a hpt every month before re-inserting my birth control, I use the NuvaRing. I do it just to make sure...but I am always positive I'll see a -.





Last month my hpt was + and I freaked out. Took several tests after that and all of them came up negative. Called my OB and had a blood test done which was also negative.





So yeah it can happen, usually it's due to a chemical pregnancy.
  • beaded necklace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment