Thursday, February 11, 2010

Was I a victim of false imprisonment?

I was at the bears cowboys game last night and my friend decided to throw a beer at a cowboys fan. Security took us both to the bears detention center. I had done nothing wrong, I was just standing with him. They threw us into a cell for 3 hours. Eventually a real chicago police officer came through and cited me with disorderly conduct. The complainant was one of the guys from the private security company. The details said that I was using profane language in a way that provoked a breach of the peace. Obviously, I will go to court and beat this charge. After that, can I file a police report or sue for false imprisonment?Was I a victim of false imprisonment?
I dont think you should have been imprisoned. If it was your friend it should only have been him. It wasnt your fault.Was I a victim of false imprisonment?
I bet you have better aim than Grossrexman! No but I think you can file one for being forced to watch a usless offense like DA BEARS!
The burden on proof for temporary detention is reasonable suspicion. That simply means a person of average intelligence would look at the facts and suspect you may have done something wrong. That is a pretty light burden of proof. As long as that is met, you have no case.





Keep in mind there are also laws pertaining to ';party to the crime';. If you assisted in any way, you can be held just as responsible as your buddy that threw the beer.





As far as the yelling, give me a break. Its a football game. Who doesn't use profane language? Especially when you are getting thumped. I wouldn't expect yelling and profanities to come into play unless some other fan complained to the staff, and the staff warned you.





Did your buddy hit who he was aiming at? If he did, have him see Lovee. Maybe your buddy can get Wrecks job.
It's possible. For false imprisonmen, you must be held against your will without lawful authority. Your friend committed assault/ battery by throwing that beer. If you are convicted of a crime, your assertion of false imprisonment goes out the window. Using profane language at a football game is not unusual conduct, certainly not worthy of being detained. Talk with a lawyer, but it sounds like you might have a case.





(Incidentally, I'm a law student, and the two above answers don't know what they're talking about. You don't have to lose wages to be falsely imprisoned, nor do you actually have to be in a prison. :)
No because you were not imprisoned.
no. defamation of character, at best. unlikely, however. especially if you did not incur any damages (lost wages, injuries etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment